Check back regularly to stay informed about new features, improvements, and bug fixes.
Head over to our Product Updates page for a monthly roundup of new features.
Release Notes for Beacon can be found here.
October 19, 2020
- Users can now flag important asset matches within the risk portal and filter to view flagged matches.
- Users can now export asset matches to csv.
- Bug fixes & performance improvements.
October 13, 2020
- Performance improvements & bug fixes.
October 2, 2020
- Improvements to customizing assets within the risk portal. Users can now combine assets using boolean logic in text assets, and can delete asset matches that are not relevant.
September 24, 2020
- Improvements to mobile experience for analytics and saved search views.
September 21, 2020
- Echosec users now have access to improved digital footprint mapping with the new News & Blogs source within the Risk Portal. News & Blogs covers international sources ranging from popular news to personal blogs and publications for improved coverage of media mentions of brand assets and digital risk indicators.
September 16, 2020
Launching today: the Echosec Systems Risk Portal: A solution for monitoring your digital assets for exposure across the surface, deep, and dark web.
- Identify unwanted exposure by proactively monitoring for digital assets
- Natural language processing identifies and categorizes threats to your organization to help with prioritization
- Inbox-like features allow collaboration with your team and reduce duplicate work
Minimize your risk of information leakage, reputation damage and regulatory fines by understanding and monitoring your external digital risk environment. Learn more in this article or get started with the risk portal in your account.
September 16, 2020
- Improved coverage of articles in non-English news sources. Users should now see more, varied sources when the news source is enabled on any search.
September 1, 2020
- Multi-factor authentication is now available for all users. This additional security measure can be enabled within your Echosec account under Settings > Passwords.
- Styling improvements & bug fixes
August 13, 2020
- Bug fixes & performance improvements
July 31, 2020
- Bug fixes & performance improvements
July 13, 2020
This release includes a number of product improvements:
- New: API Knowledge Base
Users can access case studies, detailed documentation, and submit sample API calls to the Echosec Systems Platform API through the new Knowledge Base. Visit the API Explorer to access advanced request parameters for the Social, Documents, and Natural Language endpoints.
- Updated: Account-Wide Settings
All users can now access account settings to update login credentials, invite other team members, and check data usage.
- New: Simpler Navigation
Users can now switch between products, access the new API knowledge base, Account Settings, and log out using the new left navigation bar.
July 6, 2020
- Minor bug fix.
June 22, 2020
We've made some improvements to saved searches:
- Users can now flag a post of interest within a saved search stream.
- Users can filter a saved search stream to view only flagged posts.
- Once flagged, users can choose to export only the selection of flagged posts, or continue to export by date range.
- When exporting, users can choose which columns will be included in the exported document.
- Users can choose to send the download link to an email address as well as view it in the browser window.
June 19, 2020
- Improvements and bug fixes for exports.
June 18, 2020
- Minor bug fixes and performance improvements.
June 12, 2020
- Minor bug fixes and performance improvements.
May 12, 2020
- We've improved how you export posts from quick search. Users will now see a toast in the product when their download link is ready, and can choose to send the link via email as well.
- Bug fixes and performance enhancements.
April 22, 2020
- After flagging posts in your results list, you can export only the flagged posts to help reduce irrelevant content in your export.
- We no longer support the ability to download hashtags separately from results. The export still includes hashtags as a column, and the list of top hashtags in the results can be viewed on the analytics view.
- Some small UI fixes.
April 15, 2020
- Users can now flag individual posts in the results view to mark posts of interest and filter the list.
March 24, 2020
- Account owners will now be notified of their monthly data usage via email. Users can check the status of their data at any time from within their account on the Usage page, accessed through the menu in the top right of the screen.
March 17, 2020
- Added a keyword bar visible when editing saved searches that shows how the query will be interpreted by highlighting operators in your query like AND/OR.
March 12, 2020
- Small bug fixes.
March 1, 2020
- Results from the initial quick search are now retained and marked as read in the stream when a search is saved.
February 26, 2020
• Users can now translate keyword input before searching to add multiple languages to their query from within Echosec!
- Updated the Youtube disclaimer on the Analytics page to provide more information.
February 20, 2020
• Bug fixes & performance enhancements.
February 12, 2020
- Minor bug fix.
February 3, 2020
- Performance enhancements for saved searches.
January 10, 2020
- We've updated the search filter creation steps to make them easier to use and highlight the pre-built filters.
January 6, 2020
- Added a "see context" option for 4Chan replies for a quick link to the original thread post.
- Added more metadata for 4Chan results.
- Minor bug fix.
November 27, 2019
- Performance update to handle surges in post return volumes from Twitter.
November 21, 2019
- Minor bug fix.
November 13, 2019
- In order to ensure we're delivering relevant threat intelligence data with minimal noise, we've removed Wikipedia as a data provider.
- Performance update to accommodate large volumes of searches and filters.
November 1, 2019
- New data provider (again)!
Mastodon fits into the "microblogging" category of social networking sites. It appeals to a wide user base as it allows real-time sharing of text, image, and video posts. As of this morning, Mastodon has 3,555,013 accounts and counting.
October 18, 2019
- New data provider!
Gab is a social media network formatted similarly to Twitter, but is popular with a larger extremist user base. Since its launch in 2017, the site has reported over 1 million active accounts and counting, and has proven to be a valuable source of threat intelligence.
- This release also included a few updates in order to comply with updated Youtube terms of service. Note that as a result, Youtube data is no longer considered in search result analytics.
- Users can now read and accept the terms of service before their first session
October 10, 2019
- This release included a performance update to help the quick search feed, saved searches, and search streams load faster 🚀
October 1, 2019
- Added link to Echosec Essentials in the help center menu (Coming soon- Sign up here for early access!)
- Fixed an issue affecting exports of large files from quick search.
- Fixed an issue affecting Twitter post retrieval caused by system time differing from query ‘to’ time
September 10, 2019
- Resolved an issue causing large volumes of saved searches to time out when loading.
September 5, 2019
- In order to ensure searches are built properly, users will now be prevented from running a search containing the logic keywords "or" or "and" unless they are uppercase (AND / OR) or wrapped in quotations ("War and Peace").
September 4, 2019
- Fixed an issue affecting Outlook webhook notifications
- Fixed an issue causing external Twitter links to open differently depending on account integration status.
September 1, 2019
- We've updated our colour scheme! You'll now notice a consistent colour scheme is used throughout Echosec and Beacon, featuring a deep blue with coral highlights.
- Fixed an issue affecting 'marked as read' count when a post is selected in streams view.
August 21, 2019
- We've improved how you can view and interact with searches on the Search Streams page. You can now pause and resume, hide and show all search types from this view as searches that have been paused or removed from Streams appear in their own columns to the right of your active searches.
- Minor bug fixes affecting home page display and date formatting.
July 25, 2019
- Opening a post in the saved search view now mark the post as read for easier tracking of what’s been viewed. You can still manually mark selected or all posts as read.
- Added a fix for longer Telegram posts not displaying properly in detail view sometimes.
July 10, 2019
- Disabled browser autocomplete in search bars.
July 2, 2019
- Added the ability for users to pause individual saved searches from within their accounts. To do this, click the three dots in the top toolbar of a saved search and choose "Pause Search".
- Added a max height for keyword filters to minimize scrolling on long search filters.
June 9, 2019
- New data feed! Raddle.me is a forum where users up or down-vote posts, which are sorted into categories based on topic. Note that new data feeds must be added to previously-saved searches to be included in results
- Users can now delete individual posts from their saved search streams. When viewing a saved search, select individual posts using the check box in the bottom left of the post, or select all using the button at the top of the screen. You'll then see the option to delete in the top toolbar.
June 2, 2019
New announcement center! Click the bell icon in the top toolbar of Echosec or Beacon to view a feed including new feature announcements, breaking news, and posts from our blog.
May 16, 2019
Central Notification Center: Users can now change their email notifications for multiple searches from a central Notification page. Click the Echosec logo in the top toolbar and navigate to ‘Settings’ to access this view.
May 12, 2019
- Updated search to require UPPERCASE logical operators (and, or) to be consistent with Beacon search. A note will appear when users type and/or lowercase to inform them. Note this change does NOT affect any previously saved searches.
- Updated notification email to show more information about the search and filter parameter.
- Added a modal to notify users when trying to perform a quick search using a blacklisted keyword with options to continue without Twitter or edit the search
- Added tooltips for search bar icons
April 28, 2019
- Updated the email and webhook notification settings to allow more flexibility:
- Allowed email notifications on specific combinations of search and filter as well as the existing summary notification.
- These emails can be sent to separate email or webhook destinations within the same search.
- Learn more about these new features in this article.
- Changed wording of ‘filter by’ to ‘view by’ in the left panel when viewing saved searches.
April 9, 2019
- Fixed a bug preventing the pre-built search filters from showing when editing saved searches.
- Updated the pre-built filter lists to reduce noise and improve the object detection filters.
April 3, 2019
- Added restrictions to csv uploads into search filters to respect character minimums, matching to the list of recognized object detection keywords, and avoid duplicates.
March 31, 2019
- New data provider! Echosec now provides data publicly posted on channels in Telegram, a cloud-based messaging application.
- Teams are now Organizations. With organizations, account owners can view all members of their organization, invite, and remove members. Click ‘Members’ under the Echosec logo menu in the top toolbar to access these new features.
- You can now view your data usage as an organization and an individual user. Graphs will display your organization’s searches and posts for the current and previous month, and a trendline to indicate your projected usage for the month. Account owners will be able to view the percentage of data being used by each member. Click ‘Usage’ under the Echosec logo menu in the top toolbar to access these new features.
- Pre-Built Search Filters: When creating a search filter, you can either start from scratch or choose from one of the pre-built filters we’ve created for you. You can create a filter from one of the pre-built templates and add or remove keywords from the filter as desired. Choose 'Use Pre-Built Filter' when creating a search filter to access.
- Added typeahead for object detection filter keyword entry to allow easier matching of search keywords to the list of recognized objects by our image detection tool.
- Added link to download the full list of detected object keywords.
- Added notification to inform users that search filters applied to saved searches are only effective going forward.
- Added ability to filter the results of a saved search by the filter they matched. Click the filter icon on the right side of the screen when viewing a saved search to access this feature.
- Added Hubspot chat for customer support in Help Center flyout menu. This tool allows users to chat with Echosec customer support in real time.
- Removed the ‘Data Sources’ page, and added a link to the newly-improved Knowledge Base in the Help Center flyout menu. Check out this article for information on each of our data providers.
- Disabled stemming of keywords in exact match keyword searches (keywords entered in quotations)
- Added the ability to view which search filters are applied to a saved search without having to edit the search
- Added buttons on the saved search list for easier access to edit search settings and notifications.
- Added additional filtering to quick searches to compensate for lack of exact matching of keywords in quotations from select data providers.
- Improved display of thread posts from Discord.
Feb 22, 2019
- Implemented measures to improve image return for users with restrictive firewalls. This fix will enable display of images when do-not-track is enabled in Firefox, remove mixed-content-warnings, and reduce the need to whilelist social media content delivery network URLs.
Feb 15, 2019
Beacon has launched!
The newest addition to the Echosec platform, Beacon is a search engine that delivers structured data gathered from the darknet and deep web.
Feb 4, 2019
- New data provider! Discord is now enabled. Learn more about Discord in our newest blog post.
- Enabled commas to behave as “OR”s in keyword searches.
- Fixed an issue affecting exact match keyword searches
Jan 28, 2019
- Fixed an issue affecting scrolling on post contents.
Jan 14, 2019
- Fixed an issue preventing use of ‘OR’ keyword filters for VK provider.
- Fixed an issue where users could run a search on a single point and would receive an error message.
Jan 5, 2019
- Users are now informed by a toast when their search crosses a dateline as some data providers don't fully support cross dateline searches.
Dec 30, 2018
- The user will now see a warning toast if their search crosses the dateline.
Object detection on saved search notifications will now show a list of detected objects on top of the image.
Dec 23, 2018
- Notifications which have “detected objects” are now highlighted in the notifications gallery. You must add object detection to a saved search for this feature to work.
- A warning toast is displayed if a search crosses the dateline.
Dec 15, 2018
- Provided a pseudo fix for searches that cross the dateline so that the larger area of the bounding box is retained and the smaller areas is cut off.
Dec 9, 2018
- Improved the search filters UX on smaller screens and tablets.
- Removed Snapengage from the login page.
- Users are now prevented from setting their “primary” email as a “secondary” email in the notifications destinations panel.
Dec 2, 2018
- Changed the ordering of content tabs on the left side of the screen so that “SAVED SEARCHES” is above “SEARCH FILTERS”.
- The “registration” button now shows “book a consultation”.
Nov 28, 2018
- Improved the UX around saving a search, so that when a search is saved, users are presented with a modal that guides them as to next steps.
- Fixed an icon for the keyword exclusion filters that didn’t work in select browsers or operating systems.
Nov 27, 2018
- Fixed an issue affecting saved searches containing object detection filters.
- Improved the responsive design of the saved search filters page.
- A toast is displayed to users when they save a new keyword, author or object detection filter.
- Fixed an issue where users couldn’t delete the last keyword filter unless the page was refreshed.
Nov 14, 2018
- The saved search dashboard now shows posts by default instead of summary statistics.
- Fixed a bug where search queries with multiple brackets were not returning the correct results. Eg: “((hello) AND (world))” wouldn’t run a search for “Hello AND World”.
- Fixed a bug for Enterprise users where the system would not correctly display the AND / OR keywords that the search was saved with.
- Improved the save search edit page to make it more clear to the user which parameters and content providers are attached to a saved search.
- Fixed a bug that resulted in hashtag counts being incorrect for quick search statistics.
- Released a major feature which allows users to create “saved search filters” that they can attach to multiple saved searches; reducing the amount of duplicate searches and filters that a user needs to create and maintain in the system.
- Fixed a bug where the CSV upload of keyword filters did not work on Windows based computers.
Oct 1, 2018
- Clicking the “unread posts” and “total posts” header in the saved search explorer will now redirect the user to the notifications for that search.
- Fixed a bug that resulted in duplicate Twitter posts being returned to the client.
- Reddit post titles are now translated when the user opts to translate a social media post.
- The map now has an icon in the bottom right corner, that when clicked, allows the user to display the coordinates for the location their cursor is hovering over on the map.
- Fixed a bug where Reddit posts displayed an error when the user attempted to translate them.
- Improved the UI for the settings pages on larger (13+ inch) screens.
- Fixed a bug where long Twitter firehose posts (120+ characters) were incorrectly discard from the system despite matching the user’s search parameters.
- The performance of the saved searches dashboard has been improved when the page first loads. To facilitate this change, notification counts are no longer displayed on the left navigation bar.
- Phone numbers are no longer required for registration.
- The saved search streams page has been reworked to be more performant. Duplicate information that is available in the saved searches panel has been removed from the stream header so that the UI is more streamlined and results in a quicker page load.
- The new daily digest email format is available for all customers.
- Updated the styling and messaging on the billing and and registration pages. The workflow has stayed the same.
- Enterprise users can now exclude retweets from notifications. The system currently excludes normal retweets automatically. However, sometimes, a user would manually retweet a post using “RT @username” which isn’t flagged by Twitter as a retweet. Users now have the option to also exclude these results.
- The graph showing the post volume over time for a saved search has been changed to reflect the dates that posts were created at instead of dates that posts were streamed through the system.
- Fixed an issue where notification filters for enterprise users provided false positives. Eg: the filter “king” would falsely notify when “parking” was found in a post.
- Significantly expanded the amount of Reddit content being returned in search results. Users will now receive historical Reddit comments.
- Increased the amount of content that a user can see for each post returned. More specifically, social media and news content that was previously cut off will now be displayed.
- Updated the styling of the user settings to be more consistent with material design.
Aug 13, 2018
- Fixed an issue where CSV upload for saved search filters did not work on windows.
- Significant performance improvements have been made when exporting saved search results.
- The Strava heat map layer has been removed until further notice.
- Pro users will no longer have access to teams.
- Fixed a bug for Enterprise users where occasionally keywords exclusion filters ended up sending a notification email.
- Places has been improved to show the most relevant polygons.
- General bug fixing and maintenance.
- Improved the propagation of error messages to users so that its clear why an action resulted in an undesired outcome.
- Improved the reliability of statistics in the saved search digest emails.
- Fixed a bug that resulted in improper dates being returned on the Medium, 4chan, Tumblr and Pinterest feeds.
- Fixed a bug that prevented quick search analytics from displaying correctly on smaller screens.
- Fixed a bug that prevented post export from working on all browsers and environments.
- More UI improvements to move the application in-line with Google’s Material Design.
- When clicking the keyword search input box, the user is presented with an example explaining how to use the AND/OR system.
- Fixed an issue where the “see context” button in the post detail didn’t display correctly on smaller screens.
July 12, 2018
- Twitter context in post detail
- Bug fix: Firehose AND/OR logic works now
- Bug fixes
- Fixed saved search streams trying to load in the background after leaving the page
- No 3 keyword limit (255 char limit now)
- Deprecate Free-to-Pro trial
- Removed notification centre
- Refactored sidebar navigation
- No Split view or Results buttons
- Arrow buttons on edge of post feed
- Mark as Saved search posts as read workflow updated
- Bug fixes
- Provider filters in the side bar (inactive state fixed)
- Saved search navigation buttons in a menu now (UI cleanup)
- Some VK posts will show author information
- Analytics bug fixes
- Icons updated
- Post feed: Stream view styling updated
- Fixed bug where keyword only results were showing up in Location + Keyword searches
- Other bug fixes
- Entirely bug fixing, maintenance and performance improvements.
June 20, 2018
- Users can now sort their quick search results by “Most Recent”, “Most Popular” or “Most Followers”. This is an extension of the engagement system.
• Foursquare posts now show more content in the post detail (check ins, ratings and unique users).
- Enterprise – Fixed a bug where users would get notified on old posts.
• Enterprise – Users can now export up to fifty thousand posts a day from their saved searches.
• Enterprise – Users now get warned and in some cases prevented from saving a search with blacklisted keywords. That is to say, users get warned when saving a search which violates the terms of service of service providers.
• Enterprise – Fixed a bug where users could not delete extremely large saved searches.
• Enterprise – Saved search streams are now sorted by favourite.
June 4, 2018
• Fixed a number of bugs and improved the VK search results so that more information, including user names are now returned to the client when available.
• Added a number of new feeds (4chan, Tumblr, Pinterest and Medium). These new feeds currently only support keyword searches.
• Expanded news search, such that the user now receives additional content.
• Added engagement metrics to the search results.
• Popular and trending posts will have a fire icon in the post feed to symbolize trending/popularity.
• Influential users and those with many followers will now have a “person” icon in the post feed.
• Number of shares, retweets, likes, etc… now show up in the post detail view for each post.
• Slightly modified the theming of the application to be more consistent.
May 17, 2018
• A hotfix to fix a bug where users weren’t able to run a search on mobile without hitting `enter`.
• Enterprise – Notifications for saved searches can now be dispatched to multiple email addresses. The user’s email is the “primary” destination and all additional emails are secondary. There is no limit on the number of secondary emails. Any changes to the saved search settings (eg: muting notifications) will propagate to all emails.
• Enterprise – Notifications for saved searches can now be dispatched to webhooks.
• Enterprise – Users can now mark all notifications for a specific saved search as read. (Mark all as read)
• Enterprise – Users can now mark specific notifications as read. (Mark visible as read). Currently this marks all notifications loaded on the page as read.
• Enterprise – Object detection is now enabled. Users can enter filters, similar to how they select keyword filters, to notify them when specific objects are detected in a photo on the post. Object detection must be enabled on a per-search basis.
• Enterprise – Notifications are now ordered by the time the social media post was created.
• Enterprise – If the user generated more than 5 instant notifications per minute, they get clustered and delivered as a batch email.
• Enterprise – Users can now filter their saved search notifications by video, image, location and unread status within the saved search display panel.
• Enterprise – Removed the concept of “new” notifications. All notifications are now either considered “unread” or “read”.
• The export map feature has been removed as it did not function properly and wasn’t being used by customers.
• Users can now permanently delete a search in their search history.
• The number of flickr results has been increased from a maximum of 100 to a maximum of 500.
• Flickr results can now also return videos.
• Users can now pre-filter their searches for images and videos before submission, allowing the application to optimize returned search results.
• Fixed a number of UI issues and moved further towards the Material spec.
May 8, 2018
• Twitter firehose now excludes retweets.
• Users can now reply, retweet, like and direct message Twitter posts through the Post Detail panel if they are currently signed in to a Twitter account in their browser. Further Twitter integration is planned over the coming weeks.
• Fixed issue where long YouTube titles would push images off the screen.
• Enterprise users can now save or favourite a search that returns zero results.
• Fixed a misaligned translation button.
• General UI fixes.
• Temporarily removed sports teams and arenas from showing up in “places”.
• Enterprise – The saved search and notifications UI has been reworked to be a better experience on mobile and tablets.
Apr 10, 2018
• Billing pages now support referral codes.
• Removed email activation requirements to improve onboarding.
• Fixed bug where Flickr posts always appeared at the top of the search results.
• Fixed issue where too many Twitter firehose posts would stream in, thus overloading the client.
• Saved searches now have a more condensed and cleaned up dashboard so that users don’t have to navigate around as much.
• Fixed a bug where saved searches didn’t correctly order by priority.
• Fixed a bug where users could not translate posts on small screens.
Mar 19, 2018
• Content Feed filters are now hidden/displayed by clicking “…” in the filter bar
• The default screen when the application loads is now the map.
• A number of small UI/UX tweaks around language, icons and interactions within the application to improve consistency and usability.
• Enterprise is now soft launched and available for preview.
• All previous saved searches have been deleted in preparation for the Enterprise launch.
• Batch notification emails now show fewer results and are grouped by social media provider, with a link to find the remaining notifications in the application.
• Enterprise users can now view statistics on their quick search results by clicking “Analytics” on the sidebar, after a search has been run.
• Fixed issue for Enterprise users where saved searches did not poll correctly.
• Fixed a bug for Enterprise users who couldn’t view post detail information for their notifications.
Mar 4, 2018
• Users can now see the top authors in a search and filter the content feed by author. Only available for social media providers. (Internal – Note that VK Community and VK User are currently displayed for VK authors. Improvements are ongoing).
• Fixed issue where login and password resets would sometimes cause too many requests to the server.
• There is a new data sources panel in user settings, that will in the future allow users to apply for Facebook and Instagram access.
• The logout button has been removed from the subscription page.
• Users can now filter search history by saved searches.
Feb 19, 2018
• The search bar has been completely redesigned.
• Snapchat maps has been added for all users.
• The stream view has been improved to make better use of space and show more post content.
Feb 11, 2018
• Added a Strava heatmap layer that can be enabled by using the map layer and overlay selector in the top right corner of the map.
• Improved the loading speed of the application.
• Fixed a bug that prevented keyword searches from working with non alphanumeric characters. Eg: emojis and the Arabic alphabet.
• Fixed a bug that resulted in fewer Youtube results being returned.
• Reddit places now support local sport teams and arenas in North America.
• Improved UI consistency in the user settings.
• General maintenance and bug fixes.
Feb 04, 2018
• Users can now favourite a search and then filter by favourites in their search history.
• Users can now filter alerts in the alerts dashboard by priority.
• Increased the number of searches that a user can run within a 5 minute period.
• Users can now filter posts to only show those which contain a video.
• Significant performance improvements across all browsers.
• Fixed a couple cross browser compatibility issues in Firefox and Safari.
• Many language changes to make the application more accessible to end-users.
• Improved the quick search experience on mobile.
• General maintenance and bug fixing.
Jan 18, 2018
- Performance improvements when streaming search results
- Bug fixes
- Hashtag percentages no longer appear alongside hashtags in the “top tags” slide out.